Fall is a great time to choose if you’re deciding when to move to a new home. There are many reasons to choose this season to make a move and ultimately it can be a more pleasant experience compared to the summer.
With fall being the off-season for moving companies, you’ll have flexibility to choose whatever day suits you to begin the moving process. On top of that, you won’t be exhausted under the boiling summer sun and can leisurely enjoy the experience.
Here is how you can make the most out of the experience:
- Create a to-do list before you begin packing.
- Although fall is cooler than the summer, you need to prepare for unexpected rain and wind by wrapping furniture in plastic.
- Dress appropriately and wear layers outside, the autumn weather can be a lot more unpredictable so it’s best to prepare for cold and wet conditions.
- Wear a pair of gloves so you don’t lose grip when moving wet equipment or slippery appliances.
- Keep warm drinks nearby to keep everybody warm and energized.
- The days are shorter so have proper lighting for early morning and late-night moves.
- It’ll be the off season for delivery companies, so shop around for some cheap deals.
- Put away tarps and carpets, as the delivery personnel can track mud into the house while unloading.
- Cover the floor with plastic sheets or floor mats to reduce the mess of people going in and out.
- If you have kids, consider school schedules and inquire with schools if they can start school later in the semester.
- Winterize your vehicle and keep a spare set of snow tires if the snow falls early.
- Although fall is a quieter time of the year, be wary of choosing a holiday for your moving day as roads and streets will be congested and provide a headache you don’t need.
- In your new home, check for possible signs of pests. Animals try to find shelter in the autumn time.
- Clear your driveway of leaves and other debris to reduce the chance of accidents when loading the moving truck.
- Wet weather makes driveways more slippery, so avoid rainy days for moving heavy pieces if possible.
- One big advantage to moving during the fall is that the moving companies don’t have as many moves to do as they do in the summer, so you can be more flexible picking a day for your move.
- Moving in the fall is nice because you have better temperatures to work with.
- An advantage to moving in the fall is that you’ll be able to be settled in your new home in time to decorate for the holidays in the winter.
“Every season has its moving advantages and disadvantages and comes with its own set of challenges.”