Having a duffel bag, backpack, or suitcase full of essentials is important for when you’re moving house. On your first night in your new home, you could find yourself in need of kitchen utensils, toiletries, or even medication.
Moving across the country means you can’t just go back to your old house and get what you need, so what you bring with you is important. If you’re moving house soon and want to know why you need an essentials bag and what to include in it, keep reading to learn more.
Why You Need an Essentials Bag
There are three main reasons you’ll need an essentials bag:
Immediate Access – You’re unlikely to start unpacking everything after the move, so the bag will save time looking through boxes or going to the store for everyday items.
Comfort – Having everything you need at hand is important to make your first couple of nights a comfortable experience with less stress.
Bad Timing – You might arrive at your new home later at night than expected, which means you’ll have to make do with what you have at hand.
What to Pack into Your Moving Essentials Bag
- Your wallet and keys to your new house
- Important documents like your ID and passport, as well as the new lease or contracts
- Extra cash for unexpected costs
- Toiletries and personal hygiene items like a toothbrush, toothpaste, and shampoo
- A roll of toilet paper
- A change of clothes for the next day
- Pet food and diapers
- Kitchen utensils like paper plates or a can opener, and some tinned foods
- Your phone charger (you can also get a multi-port travel charger)
- A few bottles of water for emergencies
- A toolkit for small scale fixes, including a screwdriver, pliers, and a small knife
- Attach a blanket and travel pillow for your first night in your new bed
- When you’re moving, pack a moving essentials bag that will stay with you for the duration of the move.
- A moving essentials bag is usually a backpack, carry-on sized suitcase, or a duffle bag.
- Pack important documents, chargers, medications, some toiletries, a comfortable change of clothes in your moving essentials bag.
“A moving essentials bag is usually a duffle bag, suitcase, or backpack with the personal items you’ll need access to on the day of your move and right after you’ve arrived at your new place.”